Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Is BPA Harmful? Have You Heard About the Taco Bell Scare?

Every day it seems there is something on the news or someone mentions something isn't good for you. As a mom, I'm always trying to stay abreast of what may cause cancer or headaches or illness. Now it's Taco Bells meat. What a total bummer. Taco Bell was founded in 1962. You would think it would be ahead of the game on making sure its contents are pure, or at least is legally complaint to be labeled as beef with the U.S. Department of Agricultural. It's meat mixture only contains 35% beef. Hello McFly! That is a huge misrepresentation to the public.

Just the other day, our neighbor was over telling us about BPA in can foods. I've heard about the dangers of microwaving food in plastic, but BPA in can foods. Well, it's a chemical that can be harmful to humans if ingested. As soon as our neighbor left, Michael and I were opening up our cabinets, checking all of our canned food labels. Then we went on the internet to find out what this BPA stuff is. Come to find out you need to ingest at least 500 lbs a day for it to be a concern. Word of mouth is a great source of information, but what I've found is it's also a good idea to do a little research to make sure the fact is accurate.

It's events like the above that can send every parent, or person, panicing. And yes, I've paniced. I can remember my sister who is a Kindergarten teacher tell me that there was a study that sugar doesn't make kids hyper. Seriously now. There isn't a doubt in my mind that sugar affects my kids. And if anyone needs proof, come on over with a dozen donuts and candy bars.
Here's my thoughts.
  • Do things in moderation and you'll be much better off in the long run.
  • Cook more at home, using the microwave less and the stove more.
  • If you hear about a food product that no longer is healthy or may be harmful, just stop using it. There is nothing you can do about the past. You can't change it, alter it, or fix it.
Sometimes going back to the simpler ways of living is a healthier alternative!
Many blessings,
Melissa
www.melissaproductions.com
www.melissamoraja.com

No comments:

Post a Comment