Sunday, January 02, 2011

My Kids Haven't Quite Got the Affirmation Concept Down Yet

Yesterday, I got my kids excited about saying affirmations everyday this month. I explained what an affirmation was:

Affirmations are positive statements that bring about change in your thought process, belief system, and life. The key to using affirmations is to recite them repeatedly on a daily basis. This allows the affirmation to be absorbed into your subconscious mind. Within a short period of time, you will notice changes in your attitude towards life.

I didn't say it exactly like the above. Instead, I said it more kid-friendly.

Affirmations are fun words to say everyday that will bring smiles and joy, and positive things into your life.

All three of my kids loved the idea! So today, while I was making my kids a snack, I asked them what positive saying they'd like us all to say today. I mentioned that it had to be one that brought smiles to our faces and made us happy. Their responses were a little different than I expected. Josh said he'd like to say, "Wii, Wii, and Wii" over and over again all day, until I let him play. Then he said he'd be so happy! Madison agreed with Josh, and hasn't stopped saying the word and asking me if she and Josh can play now. Jake said he'd like to say the word "shark." Neither one of those words, Wii or shark, motivates me or brings a smile to my face, but it does to their sweet innocent faces.

Wii overall is stressing me out because my kids argue and fight when they play it. They argue on who is going to be first, and who is going to be Mario, and who is going to win the game. And, not thinking, I bought a Wii remote for Christmas that is a different color than all the other Wii's. Now everyone is fighting to use the blue Wii remote. As for the word "Shark," all I think about is Jaws, and haven't been able to move from that vision.

As their mom, I stepped in and said, "Let's instead all say 'I'm happy!'" Then Madison said, "I'm already happy." She gave me this look that said, "Hello, mom. Why would any kid say, 'I'm happy' to be happy because we are already happy?" So, I mentioned changing it to, "I love my brothers and sisters." All smiled, looked at each other, and started to giggle hysterically.

It's dinner and bathtime now. I'll try the positive affirmation concept again tomorrow with them.

Light, love and pleasant dreams,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment