Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Knew This Day Would Come

This morning, around 6:40 am, a loud crash echoed through the ceiling above our heads. Jake, Josh, Madison and I froze unsure what had happened. I waited, listening closely unsure if the sound was caused by something the cats knocked over or by Isabella (my 19 month old). Screams of fear shot down the staircase. I ran as fast as I could upstairs, worried that Isabella was hurt. When I entered her slightly dark bedroom, I found her standing on her bedroom carpet bare naked. She had taken off her clothes (including her diaper) and then climbed out of her crib. From the sound of the big bang, she must have fallen as she was making her way over the side of the crib.

I ran to her, swooped her up and then slowly checked her body, making sure she didn't hurt herself. I then brought her downstairs to share her newest accomplishment with her siblings. They laughed and laughed when they saw her bare naked. And when they found out she had climbed out of her crib on her own, their eyes opened wide as they held their breath. They knew that this was going to be another parenting adventure.

Parenting a Toddler
Isabella Hiding in Our Pantry Closet
I love that Isabella is getting bigger, but this stage brings with it a constant on your toes watch. Climbing out of her crib is only a sprinkle of what Isabella has mastered. She's moving her kid chair to our kitchen island so she can see what's on it and then pull whatever she wants off. She's tasting everything our dog tastes. She's coloring her body from head to toe with beautiful colorful markers. And she's opening closet doors to quietly hide. That's only a glimpse of Isabella's one year old world. Or should I say, my mommy world.

Tonight, I'm hoping she sleeps peacefully in her crib and doesn't climb out until the sun rises. But I'm sure that is too good to be true and instead, I'll probably end up with my little Bella-bee sleeping next to me.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

Following via Bloglovin' and Networked Blogs. Can I say that 1 is my all time fave age. But it does keep you one your toes!
nancy
http://nancyvnjourney.blogspot.com/

Live*Laugh*Love said...

Thanks. I am now following you on BlogLovin, Google+, NetworkBlogs (:

Angel Allen said...

Hi
Thanks so much for your visit. I love your story. I have a 18month old boy so I feel your pain.
I also ave a diabetic daughter diagnosed at age 7 when she collapsed. Kids always keep us jumping. I'm also now following you on Bloglovin, NB, G+, FB

Hope you will visit me again soon.
Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

Wow! We have a lot in common. My t1d daughter was diagnosed at 7 years of age too. 18 months now. Baby was 4 weeks old. It hasn't been easy. Glad to have connected!

Terri said...

Yikes. Sounds like it's getting to be time for a big-girl bed. I'm visiting from the blog hop -- glad to hear of your adventures in parenting -- brings back lots of memories as my daughter is now 17. Hope you'll visit me at www.pushingonarope.com

heidi said...

That must have been quite a scare. And watch out now, she knows how to get out of the crib on her own.

Heidi’s Wanderings

Lisa Nelson said...

It happens too fast, doesn't it?

I'm really glad she didn't hurt herself.

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

They do grow up fast. Thanks so much for connecting! Melissa

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

She's been a handful lately, but so much fun!

Jacquelyn Karlic said...

Hi! Thanks for linking up to Linkin' with my Ladies Thurs Link Up and for following me. I was already following via FB, but am now also following G+, NetworkedBlogs, and Bloglovin'. My daughter is 18 months old (will be 19 months on 6/11) and although she has not climbed out of the crib *yet* she is very much into the climbing stage, which has meant lots of bumps and bruises :-/
~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

Coco said...

Oh dear, I remember when my little one did the same for the first time: quite scary! The little climber!! I'm a new follower via g+, bloglovin, facebook (valeria arizzi). I hope some time you'll have the chance to stop by and return the love <3
xoxo
Coco et La vie en rose
Coco et La vie en rose on Bloglovin
Coco et La vie en rose on Facebook

Angela said...

My oldest one was climbing out at 18 months but I don't think my second one is really a climber so I'm leaving her in the crib for as long as I can! You sound like you have your hands full with four. But that's awesome. Most days I would have half a dozen if I could afford it. For now I have the two little ones. I'm following you through google circles and added you to my blog reader. Thanks for dropping in and following Time with A & N.

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

Hi Angela! Sorry it's taken me a little bit to respond back. It was soccer tournament weekend. I love being out there with my kids! Funniest thing is my 19 month old hasn't tried to climb out since. Instead, she just stands and screams, "Maaaaaaa Maaaaaa!" LOL

Angel The Alien said...

Its a fun age, isn't it? It is like they are "waking up" from being a baby, and starting to figure out all the crazy things they can possibly do in this weird new world!

Post a Comment