Monday, November 04, 2013

My Type 1 Diabetic Child Wrote Tom Brady A Letter

 
Madison just before she was diagnosed holding her newborn sister.
Today, November 4, 2013 is one of the most emotional days of my life now. It used to be a special day where I would call my mom and dad and wish them a Happy Anniversary. But for the past two years, instead, I've woken up with tears in my eyes thinking, How in the world did my daughter, Madison, get type 1 diabetes? Why her? And why don't other parents understand that this disease could happen to any family? It's on the rise and no one knows why.

This past weekend, I mentioned to Madison how cool it would be if we could get Tom Brady, Quarterback for the New England Patriots, to sign one of my children's books (her suggestion was-Madison and GA (My Guardian Angel) Tale of the Messed Up Talent Show or Madison and GA (My Guardian Angel) The Tale of the Slimy Spitball) and use it to raise money in support of finding a cure for type 1 diabetes. Madison loved the idea and even wrote Mr. Brady a letter.

In the letter (See below), I think she was sweetly modest about what she deals with on a daily basis. The highs and lows of this disease makes it a roller coaster ride for any child and family. When her blood sugar is above 235, Madison has a hard time focusing. And lately, during soccer, she's had a hard time breathing. She even came off the field once asking if I could take her to the hospital. She thought she was dieing, because she was experiencing anxiety causing her heart to race. She also gets  more emotional. And her eyes get blurry, making it more challenging for her to do school work and practice piano. She's not able to run around like every other kid. Or eat what she wants, when she wants. She first has to check her blood sugar and then pay attention to the signals in her body. She calls this disease a feeling disease because all she does every second of every day is feel; and very rarely does she feel great.



Since Madison was four years old, she has dreamed about being a pro-athlete. For years she mentioned being an Olympic soccer player. But for the past year, she is starting to have doubts because every time she has a soccer game the stress, worry and excitement has caused her blood sugar to do funky things, making her not feel great on the field.

There are a handful of children with type 1 diabetes who have grown-up and succeeded as pro-athletes. People like Jay Cutler, Quarterback for the Chicago Bears and type 1 diabetic give Madison hope that her dream can come true. I do want to share that Madison thought about writing to Mr. Cutler because he understands the challenges she is going through and she was born in the Chicago area.  But, because of me, she was raised a loyal fan to the Patriots and wanted to first ask Tom Brady. He has three kids and she hopes that he will take the time to learn about a disease that no family is immune to.

The Patriots are playing the Panthers on November 18th here in Charlotte, North Carolina--the same month she was diagnosed and the same month it's National Diabetes Month. It would bring the biggest joy to her life, knowing Tom Brady is supporting type 1 diabetes and as her mom, she needs hope that her dreams can come true! Role models are so important for children, especially ones with diseases that make it more challenging for them to achieve their dreams.

Another pro-athlete, Ray Allen of the Miami Heat, also deals with the daily highs and lows of type 1 diabetes. His son, Walker, was diagnosed at age two.

I would be happy to exchange autographs with any pro-athlete in support of type 1 diabetes!
I won't give up trying to find ways to raise money for a cure for type 1 diabetes and free my child and other's from this burdomsome disease.  TO A CURE!

HOLIDAY WISH! Perhaps Tom Brady and family could join me at the Southern Christmas Show for Children's PAJAMA Story Time on November 17th at 2:00 pm on the entertainment stage. Madison will be there along with one of her close friends who is only six years old and living with type 1 diabetes.

Also, a percentage of my children's books proceeds goes to type 1 diabetes. This disease has inspired me to help kids through writing humorous stories that promote self-awareness and confidence! Every book is written with the family in mind!


8 comments:

Lisa Nelson said...

WOW, your daughter is amazing. I hope the letter, and this post finds it's way to someone who can help. Unfortunately, I don't know the people who are in "the know" Alas. I think it's a great post and will share!

Your daughter is incredible!

Rea T said...

more power to you Melissa, your daughter's letter is so raw and very emotional...
i do hope and pray that you will be able to raise enough money for a cure...

huggies♥
rea
ps:you are our this week's featured blogger at the fun friday blog hop...followed you on g+

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

thank you so much Rea! you made my day! Xoxo

Angelique Ouellette-Tower said...

You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest Bloglovin follower from the “Fun Friday“ blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
& congrats on being the featured blogger!
Thanks
Angie
PS – I would also like to invite you to a blog hop called: “The Great Blog Train” currently live on my blog –we are also having a Giveaway this month! Thank you! Great Blog Train

Kevin Bertrand said...

Melissa I read your daughters letter and I sure do hope Mr Brady finds a little time to help such an important and wonderful cause. I pray for your daughter and all others with this disease. I hope the event goes well and lots of money will be raised. Also I would like more info on how may help as well.

Where can I check out your books too.
Thanks melissa

Kevin Bertrand said...

Melissa I read this and was very touched. I sure do hope Mr. Brady finds the time to help. I hope that lots of money will be raised and a cure will soon be found. If I can help at all let me know and also am interested on info regarding your children's books. Thanks Missy.

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

Thanks Kevin!

Melissa Perry Moraja said...

Thanks so much Lisa! The things she has to deal with on a daily basis breaks my heart. And she tries so hard to smile through it. Not sure I could have at her age. Blessings!

Post a Comment