Friday, August 09, 2013

This Mama is Teaching Her Kids Positive Affirmations

Say Your Affirmations Daily
Out with the negative and in with the positive! No more "I can't" or "I don't know how" or "I'm afraid" or "I'm may not be good enough" in my house. This school year my kids and I are going to be creating and saying affirmations every day! Yes, even me!

Here's my plan, which is pretty simple and easy to implement. I'm way too crazy busy for complexity right now.

So, I purchased each of my kids post-it notes, which they will keep in their bedroom on their night stand. And every night before they go to bed, we'll write out at least one affirmation and stick it on their bathroom mirror. Now here's an important tip...there is no rule that says you can't write out two or three or more affirmations. Make this fun! And let your kids join in on the planning. Knowing my kids, we'll be writing two to three affirmations and sticking them everywhere, like the refrigerator and inside their lunch box and on their dad's computer monitor and on the toilet.

The next morning, your child should read their affirmation three times aloud. And anytime they are feeling sad or scared or angry, they should say their affirmation again.

So what if you don't have a night stand or bathroom mirror. Easy fix. Keep the post-it notes somewhere your kids always go to before they go to bed, like the bathroom or their dresser. Once your child writes their affirmation, have them stick it on their bedroom door, so when they wake up they will see it.

One last thought, yes you can reuse your affirmations. Change them up. Reword them. The most important part is that your children are replacing negative thoughts with positive ones.

Below are some affirmations to help you get started! Please share any that you and your children have created, too.
  • I am talented.
  • I am a good kid.
  • I am smart.
  • I love me.
  • I accept everyone for who they are.
  • I love everyone in my family. (Have them name everyone).
  • I enjoy helping out.
  • People like me.
  • I am a good listener.
  • I am athletic.
  • I can do whatever I put my mind too.
  • I have everything I need.
Kids love sharing their successes. I hope you will share how their attitude has changed.

Extra 20% off markdowns at Crazy 8!


7 comments:

  1. I really really really love this idea!!! Words really are powerful, and the effect positive words can have on a person can really be profound.

    A couple that you could add are:
    I am amazing
    I am awesome
    and anything "I am good at..."
    reminding ourselves of what we are good at can sometimes really help

    Thank you so much for sharing at The Blog Strut Peacock Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and visiting from the Wondering Brain Hop!

    Already a follower via Bloglovin. Now also following via Networked Blogs and Twitter.

    Would love to have you join my Bloglovin Blog Hop:
    Bloglovin' Blog Hop @ Happy Kids, Inc

    Have a great weekend,
    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Melissa - and something kids really really need. There are so many negatives out there, they should be proactive giving positive messages to themselves.

    This is such an excellent idea!

    Here are some about school (as kids are going off) and kids are so categorized (good at reading, bad at math, etc). Plus, people are ready to put kids down - so kids have to take it upon themselves to bring themselves up.

    I am capable
    I am great at math
    I am loved by many
    I contribute much to this world.
    I am good
    I am a good friend
    I deserve good friends
    I deserve to treat my body with respect
    I deserve to get good grades.
    I deserve to go on to college.
    I am a good writer

    Thanks so much for this excellent article!

    You should link this up to our mommy blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really believe in affirmations! I think sometimes you feel how you chose to feel. It you want to be sad, you will be sad. Most of the time, I chose happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love positive affirmations in our home. They have changed our lives. If every dirt poor person could be given the gift of positive affirmations, what a change that would be. Even my husband is using positive affirmations now, and you can see our family moving in such a wonderful direction. I am so glad I found your blog on BloggyMoms. I will definitely be following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are now including positive holiday stickers, which we put in their school agenda! They love seeing stickers with inspirational words and cute/adorable characters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wօw that was odd. I just wгote ɑn extгemely long comment but
    ɑfter I clickeɗ submit my comment didn't sҺow սp.

    Grrrг... well I'm not writiոg all that over again. Anyway, јust wanted to say wonderful
    Ьlog!

    Visit my pɑge; UFC 169

    ReplyDelete