Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fun and Educational Arts and Crafts Online Classes for the Family

Earlier this year, I mentioned that I love the concept of online arts and craft classes for mom's and kids. Being a mom with four kids and a husband who travels, it is really hard for me to participate in a weekly painting or other artsy-craftsy type class outside of my home. And I definitely have thought about it!

So this summer I found this company called Craftsy, which offers lots of online tutorial classes, like baking, sewing, knitting, painting and even photography. And I just recently learned they even sell products at a discount.

What they have created is something I've always wanted to do. At least, until I read how much time is involved in the creation of each class (read the Behind the Scenes part). Maybe someday! Right now I have a packed schedule writing, illustrating, and producing my children's books, while being a full-time mom.

Below is some info on Craftsy. Personally, I think it's a great way to keep your kids busy, especially over the holidays and school vacation, while teaching them a craft skill in the process.

What is Craftsy?
Craftsy is a worldwide craft community offering online classes. It also has a patterns marketplace where independent designers can sell their patterns; a supplies shop with great deals on yarn, fabric, and class kits; and a projects section where members share pictures of their latest craft successes.

The Making of a CraftsyClass
Before filming even begins, hours and hours are spent determining what content will be covered in each class, and how to best teach specific techniques to the camera. Instructors work with an instructional designer to create an in-depth outline of each lesson, and decide how to best prepare props or “step-outs” that show what your project should like at different steps.

Most Craftsy classes are filmed in one of five
Craftsystudios in Denver, CO, assuring that every part of the production process goes off without a hitch. They fly in instructors from all over the world to spend several days filming, then spend several weeks turning hours of footage into a two to three hour class experience that has been watched, rewatched, and reviewed by industry experts.


Why I Like the Concept
You can retake the class as many times as you want, and the 30-second repeat feature allows you to watch the same section over and over again until you get every technique just right. Every class has a 100% money-back guarantee. Can't beat that!







No comments:

Post a Comment