Tuesday, December 07, 2010

How Do You Know If Your Child Is Gifted and Talented?

All children are gifted, as are all adults. When I speak of the word gifted, I'm referring to having at least one sense (seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting, and just knowing) that is more developed than the others. My role as a mom is to first identify each of my children's heightened sense(s) and to help them not only learn how to use it (as well as their other senses), but also continue developing it. In doing so, my children will be more self-aware and confident in who they are as they mature.
For instance, my oldest son, Jake, just knows things. He even uses the word 'know' when he tells me things. He knows what I'm thinking. He knows how to build things without instructions. Many would use the words problem-solver and innovative to describe him, as well as a very good guesser. In fact, when he and I watch Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, he gets many of the answers to the questions correct without ever truly knowing what the answer is. My goal is to nurture that knowing side of him, while also making sure he understands the question and answer.
Jake also has a highly developed sense of smell. This actually has been somewhat frustrating for me, especially during meal time. If there is a food smell he doesn't like, he has to leave the room or asks to eat later.
Games we play to further develop his knowing gift include having him try to predict who is calling and what I am thinking. I also encourage him to create things from scratch using random throw away objects such as boxes, paper towel roll, cotton balls, sticks, and more. Developing his sense of smell is a totally knew area for me. I've covered his eyes and had him try to guess various smells.


My son Josh's strongest sense is vision, while his twin sisters is feeling. I'll write more about their gifts and how I'm helping them further develop them and use them in later blogs.


What gifts do you or your children have, and how are you further developing yours or their gifts?


Happy Holidays,


Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment